Wednesday 4 March 2009

The old cabin



I thought it nice to show how the original skippers cabin looks, It is pretty original, which is a miracle, I 'll say why in a second. The paneling is made from mahogany so the people who ordered it must have been quite wealthy. The war came 1939 and the Belgian owner destroyed the main engine, we believe it was a Deutz , the Germans had ideas to convert it into a troop carrier to invade the UK. Part of the cabin roof was removed, and an anti-aircraft gun instaled fortunately the owners had the forsight to keep the part removed safe. This is why it is a miracle. The cargo area was used to billet German troops.
After the war they "aquired" an engine from a sherman tank (a GM detroit) which is a 6 cylinder 2 stroke diesel. This was removed sometime in the 70's and an updated detroit fitted with a hydraulic twin disc gearbox. This is what we have today.

4 comments:

  1. Well, Bruce, you're really going strong with your blog now. Neil of the Herbie says he'll follow you up too, but then I think you've already found out he plays the pipes! Do say hello over there..I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

    Here's another link for you: http://saltysplash.blogspot.com/

    Also narrow boaters, and they live aboard too. Nice poeple all of them xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, very nice interior. I sent you couple emails for information and what steps i need to take to live in Holland on a liveaboard motorcruiser or Luxemotor.
    I visit Holland 3 to 4 times a year and have many Dutch friends but none can really tell me anything about living on boat.

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dundustin, You are very welcome to visit us here,just give us a few days notice. We have plenty of room. Advice is free, so ask away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bruce...
    My plan is to retire at 50 in 6 years time, my mortgage paid off and I plan to lease my prperty out to generate a monthly income so i can live in Holland. I have many friends there and often travel there 3 or 4 times a year. Love the country, and the people are so warm and friendly and most of all laid back.
    My plan is to buy a motorcruiser or luxemotor around 15m length with a 4m beam, double cabins. Just like to know about permits, fees costs and what licence i need. I would plan to cruise 8 months of the year and moor in the winter months at a marina. Do they allow liveaboards in marinas? how much does a boating licence cost with the dutch waterways?

    thanks Bruce....seeing your blog keeps my dream alive :)

    ReplyDelete